Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Stuff (Unfulfilled) Dreams are Made of.



This is what a 1966 BSA Lightning shouldn't look like. So beat I got it from a hardcore California biker for just fifty dollars about six years ago. While it has only continued to rot its decadence festers in my soul. It's beauty has tortured me as I am so enamored by its 650cc twin engine. It ranks just third in my engine-aesthetic behind a knuckle-head V-twin and Flathead V8. $3000 worth of new parts and a couple hundred man-hours of work later and maybe it could be a ride-able motorcycle again; with a little more maybe just maybe it could be the cafe racer I've always dreamed of having. The cafe racer I really wanted while throwing clubman bars on the 1978 Honda CB550 I loved dearly but I had to give up too when my life went to shit after college and even with two degrees I couldn't earn enough to keep up the insurance on it.


There's far too much resignation in my life these days...spent biking at night, broke and dispirited, wondering how in the folly of youth and in university I ever let myself dream it could be better than this; losing (slowly) my connection with the people, things and activities that I have loved.



Or my days spent trying to cobble together something useful from the mountains of accumulated trash that actually is my life now. And while I'd like to hope for better, something tells me one of these days I'll be pedaling a busted blue and red bmx bike down a Shreveport street still grumbling about my lot. Even then I probably won't be rid of my foolish dreams. I'll be on the look out for the smile of a pretty girl to melt my heart, solicited by the caricature of a bike rider I'll cut with my six foot frame on a 20" bike.

2 comments:

  1. Hey I saw your comments on wiswibare. My name is Dominic also, man snap out of it. Being unemployed sucks. I have been unemployed and underemployed for a long while now. Something though that you have is your youth and love of bikes. Not giving you any shit here but you have the ability to write pretty well but don't be such a downer! If interested visit my blog domotio2011.wordpress.com It is fairly new. I hope to have people like yourself submit material to the blog about your 'bike culture" in the town or city you live in. Check out recent trip fotos and winter in Minneapolis

    ReplyDelete