Saturday, September 12, 2009

Have Literacy Will Travel

 Centenary Gold Dome
Friday I biked over to the Centenary Book Bazaar. It didn't open until 4 o'clock but by 2 p.m. a line was already forming.
 
It was a mad house and I didn't find much to read. I try not to buy books new anymore, but I meet hard luck at used book stores here. I apparently share little taste in literature with the people who trade and donate books in Shreveport. I did manage to score some Kafka, Haruki Murakami, Eudora Welty, an AP style guide and this gem from 1973:
It is a very good shop manual for bicycles though I'd never heard of it. I was searching for a copy of Jobst Brandt's The Bicycle Wheel (and have been for months) but I settled for this. It was a bargain at $1. It even has a guide to overhauling internally geared hubs; which I've never been able to read about before and might now be brave enough to try.

Afterward, I rode over to Strawn's to take some pictures and wish I could get some strawberry pie and coffee.
self-portrait
Saturday I went back to the sale. It was raining so I didn't bike there. Thankfully it was not as packed and this time I found a nonfiction book by Steinbeck (It was about traveling with his dog. I've never read his novels, but I highly recommend a short story he wrote about his first car; A Model T Named "It").
I was also able to make it to Strawn's for a BLT, coffee and pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment