Thursday, September 17, 2009

New Parts!

I received the parts to finish up on the Peugeot and got back to work on it. I am impressed with the quality of the Simplex derailleurs and would use them on a future bike of my own if I were in need. Here are some pics of the new derailleurs and the old ones they are replacing:




This rear derailleur was $26. It only shifts wide enough for a 5speed freewheel.
I cut the smashed threads off the old axle and put the cones, washers, locknuts and spacer on the new axle. The new axle had to be trimmed 6mm which was easily accomplished with a hacksaw and bastard file. (I should thank Old Bike Blog for verifying my suspicions about its axle size.)



The drive-side cone had a little pitting but still rolls smoothly. 

Cleaned the freewheel up a bit.


filing down a cable end to fit the Peugeot's small friction shifters.

Just need to reassemble it all and cut new cable housings and figure out a creative way to redress the brakes.

I thought that the hoods had rotted away but a period photograph of the bike showed that they originally only covered half the brake. They have some metal running throught them which I suppose is the equivalent of a more modern barrel adjuster so I cannot get rid of them. I am hoping that a new set of Cane Creek non-aero hoods will cover both the brake and the old rotten rubber. 

No comments:

Post a Comment